Saturday, May 23, 2009

crazy times!

wow I don't even remember the last day that I posted... but thats ok. we've sort of gotten into the groove of things after two weeks.
Today we hiked up to a waterfall and got to jump from about 20 feet up! it was so much fun, and I got extensive video and photo documentation of the whole experience... which all reminded me a lot of the show Lost...
Things have been going on pretty much the same schedule. I'm definitely getting to know my third grade class a lot better now and they are a lot of fun to be around and try to talk to.
On thursday, we went up into the mountains and jungle area. it was pretty intense. We hiked all over this mountain/valley thing inviting people to a service at the church we were working with that day and sharing the gospel with them. I got the opportunity to share it with these two dudes... I didn't see them later at the service, but i know that God will use what has been sown.
yesterday at school i got to know some of the high schoolers a little better. I've been sort of disappointed with how little time I've gotten to spen in the high school classes. On mondays we have painted fences both weeks and on wednesdays I do VBS. Friday is the only day that I have been able to go. Not to mention that they have 30 minute periods, so i hardly get used to one set of people before i go somewhere else. Thankfully, I've sort of figured out a good schedule where I get to stay with the same group of kids for at least a couple periods. Its complicated, but my friend amber and I found a small short hand class, and i stay with them for an hour or so, then i go to this bible class with a different set of kids, and stay with them into a psychology class, then follow the Bible teacher to a couple more bible classes. Apparently the Bible teacher does Bible story skits every friday, so thats pretty fun to help out with. Yesterday the 7th grade presented the story of Esther.
So any way we have this encouragement system going that is sort of like a secret santa type deal. we each get a person that we are responsible for encouraging throughout the month. today i got a baby gecko in a jar from my person!! his name is rolando (or rolandito) and I made a bug net out of dryer sheets and leaves to catch bugs for him.
Also, we had our first test today.... it was pretty hard. I think I did ok, but well see. I'm definitely learning a lot.
Well, I'll be trying to think of more specific stories to tell. There are always a lot, but so much happens in a day that it is hard to get it all out in a semi concise way. Keep on praying for us!!

3 comments:

  1. i tried posting a comment before.. hope this one works! lol i can't believe you got a gecko. You'll have to tell me about this homemade bug catching net later, i guess? it sounds like you're having a blast spreading the gospel and doing all sorts of things! you're in my prayers!
    Love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah rolandito sounds like a pretty fair name for a gecko. i must say i am pretty jealous of the waterfall jumping and trekking through the jungle. and speaking of lost... i havent really gotten any further with that... i did however get all regionals in pole vaulting yesterday by jumping 12 feet! we'll see where that goes... well i pray all continues to go well and hopefully you'll be able to teach me some spanish.
    love, matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Corey,
    The waterfall jumping does sound very exciting. I wish you had hiking boots for all the hiking you are doing! I pray you are getting to make deeper connections with the people you meet and tell about Jesus.
    Today Daddy and I went to church near Wintergreen to the church where Daddy's friend Mike Auen is the minister. It was really great to hear him preach and catch up with him and his wife. We spent the afternoon with them. Tomorrow we have off for Memorial Day! We are going to plant and paint. I've been giving lots of people your blog address so they can keep up with your ministry.
    I pray for you and your team to continue to stay healthy and safe! I love you and miss you. I can't believe it has been 2 weeks already.
    Love you a lot,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete