Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pheew

Wow, there has been non stop motion here the last couple of days! I've been trying to write everything that happens down in a journal to try to remember it, but there is soo much! Its so hard to pick things out to tell all of you.
Yesterday we had our first clases, went on a tour of the grounds, did different minitries, and then had an outreach at the asilo, which is sort of like a nursing home (By the way, the little village that we are in is called Llano Verde). Classes went fast and look like they will be pretty beneficial. The tour was simply amazing. This guy, Carlos Vargas, is like the Jerry Falwell of Guatemala. He has built a Christian school, the asilo for old people, an orphanage, and a recovery home for abandoned babies. He has a fish farm that makes half a million dollars a year for his ministry and makes thousands of dollars selling limes!
We each have a regular ministry that we do each monday, wednesday, and friday. I'm working at the school, which I think I already said, but yesterday I got to go for the first time. Another girl, Abby (abgailrose.wordpress.com) and I went to the third grade class.... it was outrageous! Thats about all I can say other than we played a game and I had to act like a monkey. Also, I just found out that there are a little girl and a little boy from the orphanage in the class that are being adopted and have been hanging out with us in our dorm area because their adoptive moms are living in the same place. Thats pretty cool, I think. Right after that, four of us put on a Bible school for 35 kids, que crazy. We did the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand and spent a lot of time playing/coloring with the kids. Later, we went the nursing home. It was a lot of fun. There was a cute old man with a piano and an old woman who was very outgoing.
Today we went into Zacapa and sang, did dramas, and gave testimonies at a school for deaf kids. They had an interpreter that did some sort of sign language, and they all really enjoyed it. Then we went to two separate town squares, preaching and doing dramas and giving testimonies. it was so crazy. God moved in so many ways.... it was really humbling. I talked to this guy who said that he used to be a Christian, but isn't anymore because he isn't good enough. I explained the Gospel to him again, and explained how its not about works or how good we are, because none of us are good enough, but that it is about God and His grace and mercy and love, and He is the one that gives us faith and perseveres us. He was very touched and we ahd a good long talk, reading different scriptures and things. I asked him at the end what he thought about his lack of faith, and he said he would persevere through God. What a blessing! I can only pray that God has actually changed him and given him faith and salvation. His name is Jaime, so you can pray for him too if you want.
Well I'm sure that this is all that you want to read about for a while, so I'll try to post again later. Hopefully I'll get a couple pics up in the next few days!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Corey,
    This is Dad.
    It sounds like you are very busy and will learn a lot and also be used by God in many ways. It sounds like this time is going to go by very fast.
    Around here, Matthew had districts for pole vaulting yesterday and jumped 10' 6". He felt good about his day and gets to go to regionals next Friday.
    HI Corey,
    Mom here. I loved all the stories from your first few days. It sounds so exciting and I know you are having the time of your life! You are right where God wants you to be and you are going to learn and experience so much! I will continue to pray for you and the group that you will stay safe and healthy.
    We are doing great here. Twenty more days of school! YaHoo!
    As fast as we are planting the tomatoes and other plants in the garden,the bunnies are eating them! We've already had to replace 2 tomato plants and we may never get to eat the peas.
    Have a wonderful weekend. We love you and are so excited for you.
    We'll talk to you again soon.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Corey its Emily!
    Your trip sounds incredible... and I know it'll be better yet! It sounds like you've done so much already even though you've been gone less than a week. it is so encouraging to hear all that is happening...Go Corey go! I pray that God will continue working in many many ways as I know he will!!!!!! I love you!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete