Sunday, June 14, 2009

4real

Well, we finally got things sorted out!
I haven't blogged in a while because i've been really trying to focus on spanish alone (which is crazy by the way), and also technically im not suppsoed to be speaking or listening or whatever in english unless its on the weekends anyway (as instructed by the internship rules).
anyway, good news! i do have a house and a family!! Los Vazquez.. they are soo cool. (just a random thought right here... this is the first significant amount of english i have thought in days and it is reallllly weird.... i keep wanting to type in spanish (plus the keyboard is wack) so excuse me if i let a word or two slip). my dad is called Mario, and aside from not having a mustache, he looks just like mario from nintendo!!! I never could understand my moms name, i just call her mamá. I have three sisters and a brother. Two of the sisters are older and married. one, Candi or Candy lives in the U.S., the other, Delila, lives around here and i see her a lot. she has a cute son named pablo. my other sister is called sarah, and she is 20, and my brother's name is mario also (they call him marito or josué(his middle name) not to be confused with mario the senior. he is 16. Also, living here are two missionary kids from cambodia, i forget their names because i met them like one time before they both went to the capital for the weekend. but they are really nice. they are both studying medicine in the university here. i dont get to have the family all to myself, i do have to share with jon from my team. he was one of the guys that got stuck in the other missionary house with english speakers and my parents were asked to take him too. but all is well, he is pretty good at spanish, and although i cant learn native spanish from him, we can help each other out. i dont have to see him all the time either. we have different jobs, and it looks like we are going to be getting involved at different churches too.
which brings me to the job. i am working at a pharmacy! who would have thought right? my dad here owns a farmacia right next to the market, so i've been there learning a bunch of crazy medicine names in spanish lol! it is pretty fun and i get plenty of time to talk to everybody else that works there (which are mostly my family here). and of course getting the time to talk in spanish is important.
what a blessing! God has worked everything out, and it definitely looks like i'm going to love getting to know my family more and the church that i'll be attending.
if i update between now and next weekend, it will have to be in spanish, i am sorry lol

3 comments:

  1. Corey!

    It sounds like you are having an amazing time. I know God is using you in incredible ways and that He is showing and teaching you so much. I enjoy reading your blog and looking at your pictures. I'm praying for you and for the work being done in Guatemala. Stay strong! Aren't you so excited we get an extra week of summer!?! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories!

    Take care,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corey,
    We are so excited that you have a family and a job! Tell your family Hola from your real family! I am still praying for your health and safety, but I am a little less worried since you are working at a pharmacy! I bet you are learning a lot. Thank your family for me for taking care of you and giving you a job and home. That is so wonderful of them. I hope you are continuing to take lots of pictures of your new family and friends. We love you and look forward to hearing more soon.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Corey!

    It's Friday evening and Mom and I are getting ready to go pick Matthew up from Westview on the James. He's just finishing his first week of work there as a Junior Counselor.
    It has been cooler this week and rainy, but yesterday the temp started back up and the humidity is getting BAD! Tomorrow may be record high around 99deg.
    We can't wait to hear how your week has been.
    Got to go now. I love you and miss you!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete